CN Investment Division (CNID) challenge 2019 information session
Majors Targeted: Accounting, Finance
Target Audience: B. Comm, B. Admin
The 2019 CNID Equity Challenge gives you a unique, real world chance to boost your skills as an equity analyst covering high quality stocks. Working with the CNID’s team of professionals, finalists will gain on the ground experience to help prepare for life after graduation.
Sign up for this year’s competition and:
- learn from the mentorship and real-life experiences of buy-side investment professionals
- hone your skills by doing deep-dive stock analysis
- pitch your stock ideas to the CNID’s expert investors
- win a summer internship at CN Investment Division, the pension fund manager for CN
The challenge is open to both undergraduate and graduate students.
How it works
1. Choose one of the following companies:
- Restaurant Brands International Inc.
- MSCI Inc.
- SVB Financial Group
- Pembina Pipeline Construction
2. Submit a two-page report detailing where you see the stock in 10 years — and why.
The CNID will pick up to three winning reports from each school — those students will move on to the next level of the challenge.
1. Participate in a CNID training day that will help you better analyze companies from the bottom-up.
2. Choose a stock from a list of 10 companies and prepare a 20-minute pitch to present to a panel of CNID portfolio managers.
3. The CNID will assign you a mentor from their investment team to help you prepare your pitch.
The winner of the challenge gets a summer 2020 internship at the CNID.
Sign up by submitting your two-page report — due November 3, 2019. The CNID will notify the winners of round one by November 8, 2019. The training day is on November 15, 2019. Pitch day is on January 17, 2020.
How to participate
Email your two-page report for round one of the challenge Portable Document Format (PDF) by 11:59 p.m. on November 3, 2019, to email@example.com. Make sure to include your name, email address and name of university.
About CN Investment Division
Established in 1968, the CNID manages one of the largest corporate defined benefit pension funds in Canada and holds a long track record of solid performance. About 80 in-house employees actively manage approximately $18 billion for CN's 52,000 pensioners and pension plan members. Investments are well diversified both geographically and by asset class, including equities, real assets (oil and gas, real estate and infrastructure), public and private fixed income, and absolute return strategies.
The CNID's culture is nimble, innovative, collaborative and risk-aware, with a focus on keeping current and future pensioners at the heart of what they do.