Fierté en Hiver 2019
Fierté en Hiver 2019 is a celebration of queer community voices potentially overlooked by mainstream Pride organizations. It centres on the voices of trans, gender non-conforming, 2Spirit and BIPOC individuals.
The focus of this second edition of Fierté en Hiver is Intergenerational Connections through art and culture. The Concordia community is invited to become better acquainted with Montreal’s queer culture through films, panel discussions, student projects and community organizations.
Events are taking place over five days – February 18, 20, 21, 22 and 23 – at the Sir George Williams Campus of Concordia University, located on the unceded territory of the Kanien’kehá:ka Nation.
The event keynote speaker is celebrated Canadian artist Alec Butler, known for explorations of 2Spirit life through film, plays, generative work and both fiction and autobiographical writing.
Other speakers include:
- Kama La Mackerel, tio'tia:ke, a Montreal-based performer, poet, storyteller, community arts facilitator and multi-disciplinary artist
- Rudi Aker, exhibitions and communications coordinator at the SBC Gallery of Contemporary Art
- Sofia Misenheimer, founder and editor-in-chief of Art/iculation
- Vincent Mousseau, managing editor of Art/iculation
- Sika Valmé, multidimensional artist, entrepreneur and project manager
Other activities include:
- "We're Queer Here," an oral history storytelling project organized by Feminist Studies students that aims to give visibility to queer identities and stories of struggle and self-affirmation
- Screenings by Cinema Politica of celebrated trans activism films Happy Birthday Marsha and Obscurro Barocco
- Community Day kiosks hosted by local organizations to showcase their services and activism
Check out the full list of events on the Fierté en Hiver Facebook page.