What is the CAEL test?
The Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Test is a test designed to measure the English language proficiency of students planning to study in Canadian post-secondary institutions.
CAEL is one of the best tools for identifying students with the right English skills for academic success. It provides an authentic representation of language use in a Canadian academic context. Test takers read articles, listen to a lecture, answer questions, and write a short essay, as they would be expected to do in a first-year Canadian university or college classroom.
What is the CAEL CE test?
CAEL is available as a computer-delivered test, known as CAEL CE (Computer Edition). CAEL CE delivers all four components (reading, listening, writing, and speaking) by computer in a single test sitting in order to evaluate how well one combines the four components to perform tasks comparable to those in a real academic setting.
- The test is used as proof of English language proficiency for academic purposes
- It is a computer-delivered test completed in one sitting
- The test includes a personal timer and word counter
- CAEL CE total test time is 3h30m (includes reading, writing, listening and speaking)
- Results are available online in 8 business days and are sent to 5 institutions
- The CAEL CE test is accepted by over 180 Canadian universities and colleges, including all of the English U15 institutions