Ask a Dietician Program
Our ‘Ask a Dietitian’ program aims to help the campus community make healthier and more informed decisions both on and off campus. Whether you are a student living in residence for the first time and need assistance making healthier choices, or need support following a specific diet, our dietitians are here to answer your questions.
Our registered dietitians, Vanessa D’Antico and Jane Cui have a pivotal role in ensuring that healthy and nutritious foods are well represented and identified across our locations, to help create the best possible dining experience while on campus. They work together to build the resident and retail menu each semester, adjusting the offering to better suit the growing needs of Concordia’s students and faculty. You will see them interacting with the campus community during their nutrition education events!
If you are thinking of living in residence or purchasing a commuter meal plan and want to know if our dining facilities can accommodate you, please do not hesitate to reach out to our dietitians at email@example.com.
Healthy for Life
Our Healthy for Life philosophy is simple. We believe that good food is essential to a healthy life. We create positive experiences and environments that enable people and organizations to thrive. We’re committed to constantly improving and evolving our menus and services to be healthier and more sustainable. We are a group of passionate and dedicated individuals working across functional areas of health & wellness, environment & sustainability, culinary, marketing, supply chain, and operations to continue to provide innovative solutions to improve the health of our communities, and to tread a little lighter on the earth. We are excited to share our journey towards healthier and more sustainable menus and communities with you through our Healthy for Life program. Please visit us often as we will be continuing to host info sessions across campus about various nutrition related topics and tidbits that can help us all live a good life.
Read more to learn more about our current initiatives and how we strive to better ourselves every day.
We're committed to providing you with a broad selection of great tasting, healthy, and sustainably sourced food.
- Our menus are created by experienced chefs who have a passion for food.
- We feature fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and low or non-fat dairy options.
- We provide healthy choices and make nutrition information available for the food we serve.
- Great tasting, authentic, and culturally diverse food are mainstays - celebrating traditional favourites, ethnic dishes and international flavours.
- We are working toward 100% sustainably sourced seafood - partnering with industry leaders such as the Marine Stewardship Council, and our seafood suppliers to ensure we help protect our oceans for generations to come.
- We recognize and accommodate special dietary needs in a personalized, sensitive manner.
- Our recipes are freshly prepared and made as close to the meal time as possible.
- We provide a vegetarian friendly environment, with a variety of vegetarian and vegan choices.
- The seasons shape our menus. We emphasize the use of local ingredients, produced sustainably whenever we can
- We are reducing the amounts of sodium and unhealthy fats in our recipes, and working with our suppliers to do the same in their ingredients
- We recognize animal welfare is an important component to a sustainable supply chain and are expanding partnerships with producers who share the commitment
- A green consciousness runs throughout our kitchens and dining halls each and every day
Get the Good Stuff
With life moving a mile a minute, being able to find good food that’s good for you is more important than ever. That’s why we created our Get the Good Stuff brand. It’s simple.
If you want foods with fewer calories, less sodium, more colourful veggies or whole grain selections and find healthier and more sustainably sourced choices -- just look for the logo!
The Get the Good Stuff brand makes better-for-you choices easy to spot, in many of our food service locations.
If only everything in life were this easy!
While our chocies offer good taste, they meet many of the following criterias:
- 500 or less for an entrée
- 300 or less for a side, soup, snack, or dessert
- No more than 15% calories from saturated fats
- No artificial trans fats
- 960mg or less for a sandwich
- 720mg or less for an entrée
- 480mg or less for a side, soup, snack or dessert