Dr. Simon L Bacon, PhD, FTOS, FCCS
Professor and CIHR SPOR Chair in Innovative, Patient-Oriented, Behavioural Clinical Trials, Exercise Science
Dr.Bacon's research deals with the impact of health behaviours and lifestyle(e.g., physical activity, diet, weight management, stress) on chronic diseases(e.g., obesity, cardiovascular disease, and chronic lung disease). He utilisesmultiple methodologies including epidemiological, psychophysiological, andbehavioural trials designs. Currently, Dr. Bacon is the CIHR SPOR Mentoring Chairin Innovative, Patient-Oriented, Behavioural Clinical Trials and a fellow ofthe Obesity Society and the Canadian Cardiovascular Society. Prior to joiningConcordia he completed his postdoctoral studies at the Duke University MedicalCenter, McGill University, Hôpital du Sacré-Cour de Montréal, and the MontrealHeart Institute. In addition to Concordia, Dr. Bacon is co-director of theMontreal Behavioural Medicine Centre (www.mbmc-cmcm.ca), a researcher at the Centreintégré universitaire de santé et de services sociaux duNord-de-l'Île-de-Montréal (CIUSSS-NIM: ciusss-nordmtl.gouv.qc.ca/votre-ciusss/centres-de-recherche/),and co-leads the International Behavioural Trials Network (www.IBTNetwork.org).
PhD (University of Birmingham), MSc (De Montfort University), BSc (Hons, University of Warwick)
- Behavioural (e.g., physical activity, weight management, stress management) interventions for chronic diseases
- The epidemiological impact of health behaviours on chronic diseases
- The role of acute stress (psychophysiology) in the progression of chronic disease
- The impact of sex and gender on chronic diseases.
- Bariatric care and surgery
- Cardiovascular and respiratory diseases
- Patient-oriented, patient-participatory, and integrated knowledge translation
EXCI 250: Research Methods and Statistics
EXCI 420: Physical Activity Epidemiology
EXCI 610: Statistics and Research Design
Information for Graduate Students
Students wishing to pursue graduate studies under Dr. Bacon should first read the following documents.
Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR)
Fonds de recherche du Quebec - Sante (FRQS)
Canadian Partnership Against Cancer (CPAC)
Please see my CV for an up-to-date list of publications.