Concordia University

http://www.concordia.ca/content/concordia/en/arts/public-art/about/york.html

3 York Theatre medallions and chevron panels, 1938

3 York Theatre medallions and chevron panels, 1938

Medium: Enamel on stamped metal panel
Dimensions: varied

york4-zoom
york6-zoom
unknown-artist-york-theatre-medallions

About the Artwork

From 1938 to 2001, the York Theatre occupied what is now the eastern wing of the EV complex. Constructed according to plans drawn up by Morley Corbus Luke (1901-1976) of Perry, Luke, and Little Architects and decorated under the supervision of Emmanuel Briffa (1875-1955), the building welcomed thousands of cinephiles for half a century. In homage to the Art Deco landmark, a number of decorative elements were saved, restored and incorporated by Concordia. The painted enamel panels and stylized theatrical masks recovered from the exterior of the building recall the rich artisanal heritage of Montreal before World War II. The panels now inset into the walls next to the Black Box theatre of the staircase nearby were part of a recurring Art Deco motif throughout the York.

Artwork Location

Campus: Sir George Williams (Quartier Concordia)
Location: Entrance Area, Hexagram Black Box (EV. S3.845), Engineering, Computer Science and Visual Arts Complex
Address: 1515 St. Catherine W.

Back to top

© Concordia University