Medium: Painted glass windows
Dimensions: 3 panels at 366 x 457 cm each
Patron: Ministère de la Culture, des Communications et de la Condition féminine
About the Artwork
Installed in 1966 as part of Quebec's pioneering program to integrate art into architecture, McEwen's distinctive abstract style is well represented in the windows he created for the east wall of the first building designed specifically for the then, Sir George Williams University. These windows are best appreciated in the morning, when the sun imbues the muted palate with a calming and spiritual quality.
About the Artist
Jean McEwen was one of Canada's most distinguished artists and taught part-time in the Faculty of Fine Art from 1983 until 1993. He was strongly influenced by Paul-Emile Borduas, Jean-Paul Riopelle and the Quebec Automatistes as well as by the abstract expressionists he met in Paris and New York in the early 1950s.
Campus: Sir George Williams (Quartier Concordia)
Location: Mezzanine, Henry F. Hall building
Address: 1455 de Maisonneuve St. W.