Get a glimpse of Open House activities from last time...
Interested in studying fine arts but nervous about submitting your portfolio? Come to Portfolio Day! You'll get one-on-one constructive feedback about your work from Fine Arts faculty members and current students.
Come pay us a visit to learn more about our programs and obtain valuable application information!
Sir George Williams Campus — EV 6.720, 6th floor, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (registration ends at 3 p.m.)
What is Portfolio Day?
Open to anyone considering an undergraduate or graduate program at Concordia, Portfolio Day helps you prepare a strong application and increase your chances of being accepted.
Portfolio Day is not a competition or an interview — it's an invaluable opportunity to see if you're on the right track, to learn about Concordia’s fine arts programs, to discuss your goals, and to start exploring possible career paths.
You'll also meet other prospective students who share your passion for creating. Keep in mind that people apply with a wide variety of skills and experience. Don't be discouraged if you see work you think is "better" than yours; everyone has a different creative journey. Portfolio Day can be a little bit intimidating, but it can also be inspirational!
Come early! You'll be able to speak with more professors and have a more rounded experience if you leave yourself plenty of time. Please note that newcomers will not be permitted after 3 p.m.
We'll be evaluating portfolios for the following programs.
- Art Education
- Art History and Studio Art
- Computation Arts
- Design for the Theatre
- Digital Technologies in Design Art Practice
- Electroacoustic Studies
- Fibres and Material Practices
- Film Animation
- Intermedia / Cyberarts
- MFA in Studio Arts (excluding Film Production option)
- Painting and Drawing
- Print Media
- Studio Art
- Exhibitions. Student work will be on display to give you an idea of what our students are up to.
- Information Presentations. Do you have any outstanding questions about admissions, or want to know more about Concordia and the Faculty of Fine Arts? Attend one of the information sessions running throughout the day.
- Tours. Take a tour of our facilities, including visual and performing arts studios.
- Bring your most recent and best work. You can also include work in progress and sketchbooks.
- Don't worry if your portfolio is incomplete; this is your chance to see if you're on the right track. You'll be able to receive feedback on your work in progress and ask questions about our programs and portfolio requirements.
- Bring your original artwork whenever possible. Don't spend time and money matting or framing — the work itself is most important.
- Works that are too large or too fragile to transport may be presented as photographs or in digital form. A limited number of computer stations will be available.
- Bring an open and curious state of mind! This is the perfect time to talk about your artwork and your aspirations.
It's important to have a conversation with the professors reviewing your portfolio. They have a lot of knowledge and experience to share with you (and it doesn't hurt if they get to know you a bit!).
Here are some questions to help you get the ball rolling:
- What are the facilities like in your program?
- What stands out as exceptional in your program?
- What are alumni from this program doing now?
- Will I have many opportunities to exhibit my work?
- How can I get involved in all the interesting things that happen outside the classroom?
- Do you have any tips for an enriching and successful experience at the Faculty of Fine Arts?
Registration is not required — participants will be admitted on a first-come, first-served basis. The doors close one hour before the end of the event. To see the most professors and get the most from your experience at Portfolio Day, arrive as early as possible. If you wait until near the end, you will most likely be disappointed. In fact, no newcomers will be allowed in after 3 p.m.
Please note: Admission and scholarship decisions will not be made during Portfolio Day.